Thursday, July 8, 2010

Friends don't let friends listen to Belling

I've been listening to Belling since 1991. I used to agree with most of what he said, now I'm appalled by most of what he says. I'm pretty sure he is the one who has changed, not me. These days I listen purely for entertainment purposes and recently I've started a post-it on my computer monitor where I keep track of when Mark doesn't use straw man arguments.

Totally rational conservative friends of mine have shaken their finger at me, gotten all upset and called me "you liberal!" when I told them I think gays should have the right to get married. Why? I guess I chalk it up to the fact that they listen to too much Belling. According to him if you like mass-transit you are a liberal. Pro gay-marriage? Liberal. Don't think Earth was created 12,000 years ago? Liberal. Think young adult fiction with gay characters is ok? Stinking commie tree-hugging liberal. Huh? Listen to his garbage long enough and literally EVERYONE (minus someone like Owen Robinson I suppose) is a liberal. And once you are tagged a liberal on ANY issue, you are instantly a liberal on ALL issues. Think gays should be able to marry? Well then you must be a shill for MPS and the evil teachers union. Like tofu? Well then obviously you are a liberal and all liberals want to abort as many babies as possible!!!

This didn't bother me in the past, but man, when you have lifelong friends who don't talk to you anymore just because you don't think straight people should have the exclusive right to get divorced 50% of the time it kind of gets to me.

Ok, I'm done.

2 comments:

  1. Because it's easier to dismiss someone than argue the issues. You notice it in West Bend and on talk radio because both are dominated by stupid Conservatives. Stupid Liberals do the same thing. Visit Democratic Underground and Free Republic; they're populated by both and the name calling is constant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I once listened to Belling rant about clay court tennis and why Americans can't win the French Open. He went on for about 10 minutes and at the end he admitted that he had never played tennis and had no idea what he was talking about. What an utter douchebag. he has been described as a radio monkey flinging his poo against the studio window. Pretty accurate.

    ReplyDelete